18 things I learnt whilst being 18


I've been giddy to upload this post since I realised August was approaching and my birthday was just around the corner and have since been noting down my thoughts since it's become somewhat of an annual tradition! As you're reading this, today is my 19th birthday (MUCH EXCITE) and so it's time for my lessons learnt post which, if you're a regular reader, you will know I've written for the past two years now! I will link the other two posts at the end so you can have a look at those as well if you want to see just how ~mature~ I've become in my old age. So, without further ado, here are the 18 things I've learnt whilst being 18:

1) Sushi is love, sushi is life. Prior to turning 18 I had never tried sushi and oh what a good thing I was missing out on. Yo! Sushi is now my favourite place with my go-to order being cucumber maki, pumpkin katsu and vegetable gyoza FYI.

2) Louis Theroux has become my one true love. I have always adored him but this year I think my feelings have intensified as my Netflix watch history is potentially just his documentaries on repeat. There is nothing I do not love about that guy.

3) Talking of TV shows, my 18th year of life has been the one I've found some of my favourite shows to date and in turn, ALL the binge watching has occurred. The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad are the main two in question and quite frankly I wish I could re-live the experiences of watching them both for the first time because I just ADORE them. Walking Dead wise, I'm head over heels for Rick, Daryl, Carol and Maggie and O M G wasn't season 6 just THE best thing ever??? When it comes to Breaking Bad, my more recent watch of the two, I loved everything about it from the storyline, characters and the style of filming and directing! It was stunning to watch and a show I never thought I would be able to invest in that much but in actual fact was hugely enjoyable for me. 

4) This year has been one when I've really felt cemented in my morals and ethics and have found myself so invested in the lives of others, particularly when it comes to animals. It was during this year that I finally became a vegetarian with a mission to cut down as much as possible on dairy consumption after my eyes were well and truly opened to the cruel practices of the animal agriculture business. I hate to bring a downer on this post but standing up for my ethics has been something that's been so important to me during this year and I feel like I've really grown as a hooman being in terms of sticking with my gut and standing up for the voiceless animals amongst us! I've become full on animal obsessed. 

5) Today I the scary haircut decision of getting a fringe cut in and I'm SO HAPPY. I had a bit of a 'yolo' moment when making the appointment and this is definitely something I've tried to stick with during this year in terms of challenging anxiety; spontaneity isn't my strong point but I'm learning to try!

6) My 18th year has led to my music taste really widening which is 1) unexpected but 2) so eye opening! With 1D on their hiatus and a severe lack of new tunes from them, I've been loving listening to mine and Scott's joint Spotify playlist, with the combination of his and my music together giving me a lotta love for a lotta new bands. Some I was most surprised to like include, Lower Than Atlantis, Arctic Monkeys, Sundara Karma, Fall Out Boy etc. I also have a LOT of love for Catfish and The Bottlemen and their new (ish) album!

7) UNIVERSITY IS HARD AND NOT HAVING YOUR CATS WITH YOU SUCKS

8) Brighton is still my favourite place on earth and it has been fully cemented that it's the one place I can really see myself living when I'm a fully grown up lady with a house deposit and babies. 

9) The North of England is cold and raining. Always. 

10) I've really learnt the importance of pushing myself but not pushing myself to the point of wanting to die anxiety wise. I've loved The 1975 for years and finally pushed myself to get tickets to their gig in Manchester back in February which resulted in a panic attack and leaving after about half an hour. It was really disheartening knowing that everyone else was having such a good time and I just wasn't but it taught me that baby steps are a thing and that's okay! A couple of years ago I wouldn't have even been able to psych myself up to buy the tickets so I'm doing OKAY.

11) Being able to do my food shop myself and having full control of meal planning is an absolute god send for someone with an ED. I frickin love doing my food shop and my obsession for broccoli has increased x10; I WILL incorporate it into every meal. I've seriously become addicted to vegetables. 

12) HAVING ! A ! REST ! IS ! OKAY !!! Whilst not having a great deal of friends at university, I spent a lot of time in the library and a lot of time doing work which led to a workaholic lifestyle and extreme guilt when taking the tiniest of breaks. It was S who messaged me saying that sometimes it's okay to have a break and it really hit home that I had become way too invested in doing uni work 24/7 and losing sight of what was important for my mental health. Regular breaks and a work/life balance are so important and it's definitely a lesson I'll be taking into my second year of university. 

13) I really learnt the importance of friends this year after moving to university and seeing my closest pals on very rare occasions. This summer I've tried to do ALL the fun things in between working and driving lessons and I've loved feeling like as much of a ~social butterfly~ as possible for an anxiety suffering person. 

14) I LOVE MAKING VLOGS. I've had my blog for about 4 and half years now which is crazy and it will always be my main priority but, my 18th year has seen me start making lil youtube vids which I've been totally loving! My friends had mentioned me making YT vids in the past but I was never that keen because I don't love my voice/face but I'm adoring doing it!! I only have a few vlogs on my channel but I've loved filming and editing so much that I'm super excited for more in the future! The amount of positive comments I've had on Twitter as a result has got me feeling so humble to have such a happy and lovely following online; I'm just very very grateful for everything!

15) I ADORE ASOS. I had a really irrational fear of ordering clothes online for ages (I think an anxiety fear of having to return things at the post office lol?) but I've become 100% addicted to the site and now a large majority of my wardrobe is made up of ASOS gems. 

16) Doing the things that scare me can help with confidence and anxiety SO.MUCH. I was so worried about getting a job and starting driving lessons when I came home from university for the summer but the hurdles I had to overcome to do them are so outweighed by the positives of confidence and happiness I have gained! My job isn't that complex but it's been a huge step for me and I feel so much happier in myself and super proud for pushing myself to do it. 

17) Pinterest DIY's are really fun and I'm still addicted to planning my future house vicariously through my interiors board. White floorboards now PLS.

18) And finally, the best part of 18th year was having the support and love of my boyf (cringe but true) and all he has helped me with whilst struggling at university life and now being home and happy. Scott really is the best thing in my life and I hope he gets a mention in many more birthday posts to come. ILY S bear.

So that's it! Another birthday, another annual post! Let me know if you enjoyed it and if you've written something similar before; I would love to hear about your growth and lessons learnt! 

My previous birthday posts:
16 things I learnt whilst being 16
17 things I learnt whilst being 17

2 comments

  1. A lovely post, congratulations on number 10!
    Happy belated birthday also :)

    HANNAH FROM NYLONTOAST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you hannah! I really appreciate your comment! xo

      Delete