Blog Baking: Christmas Cookies!

Hi there!

As christmas is now only 3 sleeps away *runs around bedroom squealing* I decided to get out my recipe books and start some christmas inspired baking! I'm a little crazy about baking and nothing would please me more than curling up in front of The Great British Bake off and planning to recreate everything from the cookies and the cupcakes to the savory pastries and puddings. Although my blog is beauty and fashion based, I occassionally throw in a lifestyle post (because who doesn't love one of those?!) and I thought that it might be a fun idea to start a mini 'Blog Baking' series! 

I'm not sure how often I will be posting pictures of things I've baked or sharing some of my favourite recipes but so far I'm loving the idea of uploading different things I've been making :) This is the first part of the series and since I was feeling festive (as always..) I thought I'd make some christmas cookies!









Please excuse how messy the icing looks on some of the cookies but I lost half of my piping kit and so had to improvise using different piping bags with the wrong ends (I'm sounding less and less professional by the second...). The cookies are just plain shortbread flavoured with a little vanilla essence and if I do say so myself take aaamazing!

Ingredients:-50g of butter (preferably unsalted but I used normal cooking butter and mine turned out fine!)
-50g of caster sugar
-1 egg
-135g of plain flour
-a few drops of vanilla extract

To decorate:-Water (amount varies depending on how much icing you want to decorate with)
-Icing sugar 

-food colouring (optional)

Instructions:
1) Preheat your oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5
2) Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and put to the side ready for your cookies
3) Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl with a spoon and then beat in the egg a little at a time.

4)Add in a couple of drops of vanilla extract (this is optional but makes them taste that little bit yummier!)
5) Gradually sift in your flour stiring and combining the mixture as you go

6) Roll out your dough on a floured worksurface to approx 1cm thickness
7) Take some cookie cutters or a glass if you don't have any and (this is my favourite part!) cut out your cookies from the dough

8)Place onto your lined tray and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown
9) Set aside on a wire tray to cool
10) Decorate your cookies (yay!) with the icing.To do this gradually mix together some icing sugar and a small amount of water with a spoon until you create a stiff icing mixture. Make sure the icing is fairly thick otherwise you won't be able to ice your cookies very easily! Add any decorations you wish and they're ready :)



I hope you like the idea of a Blog Baking series and although these cookies are simple to make they look really effective and are the perfect christmas treat!

Charlotte ♥

No comments